Wii U Mad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

+5
SebTH
ChaosLord121
Lupucillo
IAMERROR
BigPhaben
9 posters

Go down

Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban Empty Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

Post by BigPhaben Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 am

THE MOST BULLSHIT STORY YOU WILL EVER READ TODAY

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120412-Halo-4-Sexism-Earns-You-a-Lifetime-Ban

Halo 4 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill and 343i head Bonnie Ross decry Xbox Live sexism.

"There are always going to be jerks out there," says Kiki Wolfkill, the woman Microsoft put in charge of the Halo IP, talking about the problems giving adolescents a broadcast mechanism. "If you give them a way to express that side of their personality without being seen," Wolfkill went on to say, "you're going to see this type of behaviour manifest itself." That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live; players who fall foul of the policy face a lifetime ban from the network.

Both Wolfkill and Bonnie Ross, head of 343 Industries and thus in charge of Halo 4's development, see dealing with the jerk problem as the developer's responsibility. Hence the zero tolerance for sexist comments, but they also feel it's the developer's job to make sure that the game doesn't portray itself in a bad light.

"As developers, we have a personal responsibility to think about how our games come across," said Ross. "With Halo 4, we were very deliberate in thinking about who should be female and who should be male in the game, and if we came off stereotypical, we went back to question what we were doing and why."

Both Ross and Wolkfill are prominent female gamers, but neither wants gender to be their defining characteristic. "When Microsoft created 343 Industries to take over Halo," Ross said, "I was given first choice to run the studio because I had proven myself. My gender played no part in it."

Wolfkill went on to add that perhaps consumer responsibility had a role to play in the way the industry is perceived. A change in perspective, she thinks, is in order; gaming isn't an exclusively male-dominated area any more.

Thought I was going to buy Halo 4 but after reading this I might reconsider since verbal insults are more important then hacking or cheating Evil or Very Mad
BigPhaben
BigPhaben
N64
N64

Back to top Go down

Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban Empty Re: Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

Post by IAMERROR Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 am

How would they even go about finding out? I'm just curious, is there going to be a report system or something?
IAMERROR
IAMERROR
SNES
SNES

Back to top Go down

Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban Empty Re: Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

Post by Lupucillo Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 am

You know that's just a thinly-veiled method of making people buy another subscription to an alternate account, thus paying them $60 more.
Lupucillo
Lupucillo
SNES
SNES

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosLord121 Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

So how come they haven't done the same thing to racist morons, internet tough guys, and idiot little kids that have no business playing an M rated game? If they started covering those then maybe I wouldn't be against this.

When I get Halo 4, I'm going to renew my XBL subscription after a year of inactivity. I'm not expecting any change in the community at all after this.
ChaosLord121
ChaosLord121
SNES
SNES

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChaosLord121

Back to top Go down

Post by IAMERROR Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Lupucillo wrote:You know that's just a thinly-veiled method of making people buy another subscription to an alternate account, thus paying them $60 more.

Hopefully it'll make people think before they start acting like an idiot on XBL
IAMERROR
IAMERROR
SNES
SNES

Back to top Go down

Post by SebTH Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 am

IAMERROR wrote:
Lupucillo wrote:You know that's just a thinly-veiled method of making people buy another subscription to an alternate account, thus paying them $60 more.

Hopefully it'll make people think before they start acting like an idiot on XBL

we're talking a service with most of its user base: children and pre-teens, under the age of 16.
Kids-Preteens: 65%
Young Adults: 30%
Older: 5%

So, with all that big chunk of kids, I'm fucking sure, VERY fucking sure, a good 15% will get banned :V
SebTH
SebTH
N64
N64

Back to top Go down

Post by Soxas Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:38 pm

ChaosLord121 wrote:So how come they haven't done the same thing to racist morons, internet tough guys, and idiot little kids that have no business playing an M rated game? If they started covering those then maybe I wouldn't be against this.

When I get Halo 4, I'm going to renew my XBL subscription after a year of inactivity. I'm not expecting any change in the community at all after this.
AMEN Shocked
Soxas
Soxas
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by ShinyChocobo Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm

I don't support sexism at all, but this is just a prime example of people being biased. If they don't want their gender to define them, they shouldn't sound the alarm every time some sexist jerk runs his mouth. Hell, they're practically displaying female stereotypes.

Warning? Sure. Lifetime ban? Please.
ShinyChocobo
ShinyChocobo
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Post by Soxas Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:32 am

ShinyChocobo wrote:I don't support sexism at all, but this is just a prime example of people being biased. If they don't want their gender to define them, they shouldn't sound the alarm every time some sexist jerk runs his mouth. Hell, they're practically displaying female stereotypes.

Warning? Sure. Lifetime ban? Please.
Bitch please if I paid for this service they better at the least let me finish out the term.
Soxas
Soxas
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by IAMERROR Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:37 pm

I got banned from voice chat for 1 week lulz
IAMERROR
IAMERROR
SNES
SNES

Back to top Go down

Post by MBParadox Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:07 pm

I really just don't get Feminism. The woman that cry out sexism and inequality are just furthering their own damn stereotypes.
MBParadox
MBParadox
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhaben Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:43 pm

MBParadox wrote:I really just don't get Feminism. The woman that cry out sexism and inequality are just furthering their own damn stereotypes.

Cause women who are like that are the retarded rejects of society
BigPhaben
BigPhaben
N64
N64

Back to top Go down

Post by MBParadox Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:06 pm

BigPhaben wrote:
MBParadox wrote:I really just don't get Feminism. The woman that cry out sexism and inequality are just furthering their own damn stereotypes.

Cause women who are like that are the retarded rejects of society
Its funny because the "old fashioned" type of women whom stay at home and may partake in a job or two are usually much smarter and a hell of a lot more diverse.
MBParadox
MBParadox
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by Thethundara Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 pm

BULLSHIT.
Thethundara
Thethundara
GameCube
GameCube

Back to top Go down